You might expect me to have a relaxing day for my first day off after going back to work. In fact, I spent the afternoon having a mammoth tack cleaning session. It was still a nice way to spend the day – especially as the sun was shining and I could sit on the grass in the garden with a cup of tea. I even managed to get my sister to join me in cleaning Cookster’s tack which added to the fun.
As well as cleaning though, I also embarked on a mending session as all the ears of Galahad’s fly masks were full of holes but were otherwise perfectly sound. It seemed incredibly wasteful to get new ones so some darning was obviously in order. This is one of those tasks I’ve been meaning to do since last autumn but which has somehow never got to the top of the list. It just wasn’t a priority in the middle of winter! Now though the flies are starting to show their presence and the masks are definitely needed.
As you can see, I decided not to be subtle about it. There was very little chance of my mending them invisibly so I thought I might as well make a feature of the darning. I rather like the effect and Galahad doesn’t seem to mind!
The blog is up a little late today as I have been watching the Kentucky 5* Horse Trials. It was so good to have some eventing to watch again and it really was a nail biting finish. I was literally on the edge of my seat and my Mum couldn’t watch at all! It was wonderful to see Oliver Townend win and lovely to have Harry Meade in the top five too. It has been a great weekend!
I recently treated Galahad (or myself) to a new bridle. His old one was right on the bottom hole on most of the straps and I have been wanting to change the black leather for brown for some time.
I love visiting the tack shop and it is so good to have really nice leather to bring home. When I bought Cookster’s martingale it was so lovely that I knew I would have to get the same quality for myself.
I haven’t managed to get a decent picture of the bridle yet – the first time I used it we rode in a downpour and the next time I had already started decorating for Christmas!
I am so pleased with it though and it was definitely worth the wait.
With Galahad’s cheekpiece broken I had to come up with a solution to be able to ride him until I could replace it. Cookster’s bridle is too long but I discovered that I could use Cookster’s cheekpieces on Galahad’s bridle and with a little adjustment it would fit both ponies.
That was really helpful but I also needed something that would allow them both to be ridden at the same time. I was a bit stumped for a while until I remembered that when we first introduced the ponies to the bit we used some connectors to attach it to their headcollar.
I fished them out and tried it – luckily I could still make it fit.
I tried a little schooling before risking going out on the roads and I was surprised by how well Galahad went. I thought we might have a few braking issues but I needn’t have worried – Galahad was under perfect control and we even managed a little jumping.
In the end I never needed to use the headcollar on a hack but it is good to know that I have it as a backup if necessary.
I have recently noticed that the back of Galahad’s saddle had started sliding a little side to side. Not all the time but enough to make me think I ought to check the fit. Especially as I also noticed that he was moulting unevenly where his saddle sits. You can see lighter marks on his back in the pictures from our last trec competition.
The saddler came on Friday, took one look at Galahad and said he thought he could see the problem. Even before he saw the saddle!
He said that Galahad is a much better shape than he was when the saddle was fitted and has more of a wither. That means he is narrower so the saddle was tipping forward and therefore lifting at the back. Obviously, that allowed the saddle to slip from side to side.
I am so glad I decided on an adjustable saddle. All we needed was to swap the extra wide gullet for a wide one and the saddle is fine again. It was well worth the investment!