Before we went out to dressage last week I had to mend Galahad’s fleece rug. He has been wearing it under his field rug for the past month and one of the shoulder seams had completely burst. He had torn around one of the front buckles too and I couldn’t really take him to a show looking like that!
My evenings running up to the weekend were spent in front of the sewing machine.
I am not a natural at sewing and the fleece had stretched a bit so the seam was not perfect but I don’t think it turned out too badly. I especially like the natty striped patch inside the buckle!
It certainly does the job and I think Galahad looked pretty smart on Sunday!
Right at the end of last winter Galahad pulled one of the surcingle buckles off of his rug. I didn’t fix it at the time because he stopped wearing it and I’m really rather lazy.
I finally got around to sewing on a new buckle (I never did find the original one) last week as Galahad is now wearing the rug again to keep his back muscles warm. I was pretty proud of the job I did.
Unfortunately, the hole in the new buckle is slightly smaller than the old one and as I hadn’t changed the other half of it I could not quite twist it closed. It did stay done up though so I sent Galahad off in hopes that it would hold.
He hadn’t been turned out in a proper field for over a week and I think he enjoyed himself!
When I brought him in again the buckle had turned itself and was fully closed. Which was great … except that I couldn’t get it open again – less than ideal. I had visions of us having to cut Galahad free and I thought that at the very least I would have to replace the other half of the buckle.
Luckily my Dad managed to cut the rubber band off and although it was still very stiff I could at least open (and close) the buckle. No more mending for me – until he rips it again!